Great read for anyone designing a “task-driven web application” – lays out a list of qualities to look for in your primary typeface, including:
- A large x-height.
- Open counters and apertures.
- Familiar/recognizable features that follow established design patterns.
- Modest ascenders/descenders.
- Wide proportions.
- Breathing room in-between letters (letter-spacing).
- Low/minimal stroke contrast.
- Sturdy, well-formed or unbracketed serifs, or none at all.
- A rational (vertical) axis (pixel grid-friendly).
But check out the full post for a super helpful example and discussion.Read the full post